full screen background image
Search Oldnautibits
 
Home > Nautical > Stock Archive Page

Nautical Stock Archive - Page 1

These are some of the SOLD items that have been listed on our website

There are a maximum of 20 items on each page - our most recent sale is listed first - this is now quite a large reference record. If you have a specific interest, use our keyword search to search the entire stock database.


 Pages -  [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
21 | 22
NewStock NEW STOCK In Stock IN STOCK Featured FEATURED Sold SOLD Sold - similar available SOLD - similar available  
Reference Stock Item   Description
OC430
Royal Navy Napkin Rings - Click for the bigger picture SoldRoyal Navy Napkin Rings - A set of 7 matching napkin or serviette rings, manufactured by George Walker of Sheffield, a business established in Sheffield in 1845. He was joined by Henry Hall and in 1853 to form Walker & Hall. In 1963 they amalgamated into The British Silverware Ltd. together with Mappin & Webb and Elkington & Co. Our rings carry the company logo of W & H set into a pennant and in addition they are all marked KF18008 and are are dated either 1956 or 1957 together with a broad arrow military property mark. George Walker also manufactured napkin rings for the RAF but in this instance with the decorative naval design to the rims we feel almost certainly these were destined for their Lords at the Admiralty 60 odd years ago. Another desirable feature is four of the seven rings carry additional marks '26', '3', 'K5', K69' which we presume would have identified the original owner. The other three are 'Plain Janes' -or is that another expression in our PC world we are no longer supposed to use? I use it anyway, with apologies to any 'Jane's' reading this listing and I hope you know where we are coming from!

These are quality rings and the plating is all absolutely sound and whilst they would sit happily in a nautical or Royal Naval collection we see no reason why they should not continue to serve in their intended role for those special Mess Nights you may hold either ashore or afloat! Each measures 1.75" internal diameter (4.5 cm)

2491
Junghan's Radio Room Clock WWII - Click for the bigger picture SoldJunghan's Radio Room Clock WWII - Another interesting ships clock we are listing today. This pattern was in use from 1939-1945 and served with both Kriegsmarine and Civilian vessels of the period. We have also seen similar examples issued to and used by the Bundeswehr post WWII but our understanding is these tended to be chrome plated whilst this example carries a brass case. We have found an identical example detailed in Ziggy Wesolowdki's excellent reference book on Military Timepieces and also in volume 3 of the book 'Kriegsmarine Uniforms and Traditions'.

Whilst we have not looked inside the case we are told the movement is a Junghan's W146. The silvered dial is not in the best condition but we can decipher the Junghan's star logo below the 12 o'clock position. In addition we can just make out the remains of the green and red diagonal radio silence bars that would have originally have run in the vertical and horizontal positions signifying 3 minute zones when the radio operator would have observed radio silence in case any May Day calls were being broadcasted. The numerals have also become worn and have been touched in by a previous owner. We can find no evidence of a Kriegsmaine property mark being added and whilst this may have been rubbed out we believe this clock was issued to a Civilian vessel in which case this would have been omitted.

When purchased the seller made no mention of any provenance with this clock. However on close inspection we discovered scratched on the back some old and quite crude letter reading 'Franken'. Whilst our research has located a U boat commander, Wilhelm Franken of U- 565 we believe it more likely this clock served on an auxiliary ship of the Kriegsmarine known as a Troßschiffverb. Since Germany in WWII did not have any overseas bases, naval operations in the North Atlantic required supply ships and tankers called "Troßschiffe". In addition to using former civilian tankers five supply ships, the Dithmarschen class, were built to service warships with fuel, ammunition, general supplies and spare parts. The 'Franken' was one of these and was commissioned in March 1943 and operated in the Baltic Sea, where it supplied the Prinz Eugen and other smaller ships of the German Navy in the last months of the war. She was blown apart and sunk near Hela in April 1945 by the Russian Airforce.

If our clock served on the 'Franken' it had clearly been removed, perhaps for repair, before she was lost. Certainly the age and model of this timepiece all lines up exactly although we have found the same specification also being used in the radio room of U boats, as confirmed by that on the U- 995 which still exists. Whatever the provenance it is a fine and increasingly scarce example of the type that could perhaps be improved if a donor dial could be located or the existing one tidied up a little. It is ticking away happily in our office but as we have no idea when the movement was last checked a service would probably not go amiss. As with all our stock more detailed pictures are available on request. Measured on the back plate the diameter is 7.9" (20.0 cm) and is 3.4" deep (8.5 cm). The brass case has three strong brass lugs for bulkhead mounting.

5414
Kriegsmarine Protractor - Click for the bigger picture SoldKriegsmarine Protractor - A very large instrument manufactured by Dennert & Pape of Hamburg-Altona and also stamped with a waffenampt and the code M 1V/1. Constructed from hardwood (possibly beach) with a scale from zero to 180 degrees on the curved section and 0-50 cm along the base. In generally very good issued condition with minor expansion in the timber at the joints. We would assume the instrument would have been used either at H. Q. for training purposes in the classroom or possibly for a crew briefing prior to an operation. We have only ever seen one other example and would represent an unusual addition to the specialist Kriegsmarine, Nautical or instrument collection. 19.75"x20.5"x10.75" (50 cm x 27 cm)
3699
HMS Emperor of India Trench art Tray - Click for the bigger picture SoldHMS Emperor of India Trench art Tray - Emperor of India was a dreadnought battleship of the Iron Duke Class built at Vickers in Barrow-in-Furness. She weighed in at 30,000 tons and was 622' l from stem to stern. She was intended to be called HMS Delhi but it is reported the change was to honour HM King George V who was 'King of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions, and Emperor of India'. Launched in November 1913 HMS Emperor of India joined the 4th Battle Squadron of the Grand Fleet, based at Scapa Flow. She took part in numerous sorties into the northern North Sea to enforce the blockade of Germany but missed the Battle of Jutland as she was in for a refit. Post war she was sent to lend support to the White Russians and Allies in the Russian Civil War which had by mid-1919 reached the shores of the Black Sea. HMS Emperor of India was finally paid off in Portsmouth in January, 1931. The ship provided one final service to the Navy by serving as a gunnery target, along with HMS Marlborough. The tests included firing destroyer armament at the upper works at close range to test their effectiveness in a simulated night engagement and she finally sank off Owers Bank.

This brass tray appears to be of trench art rather than commercial origins but beautifully crafted. It is engraved with a Kings Crown with the cypher GRI below. Then enclosed withing a circular device is the legend 'Light, life and Glory' and withing two fish, one with scales and one without and to the centre is a swastika device. This is known as a right-handed swastika, which in Hindi, stands for wisdom, luck and riches. It was only when the Nazi's adopted it in 1933 that the swastika took on a completely different and more sinister meaning.

The final photograph attached shows the ships diving party with an identical plaque to the centre. The tray measures 5.75" diameter (15 cm) and would make an ideal gift for the Royal Navy collector in your life.
3022
Barker's of Kensington Ships Clock - Click for the bigger picture SoldBarker's of Kensington Ships Clock - Barkers of Kensington was a department store in Kensington High Street, London. It was started by John Barker and James Whitehead, later Lord Mayor of London, in 1870. It was sold to House of Fraser in 1957 and was closed in 2006. This fine brass cased clock was clearly made for Barker's and marketed by them, probably in the 1930's.

It features a 7 day movement and the standard advance and retard lever mounted at the 12 O'clock position. The silvered dial is generally very good good with just the odd age related mark ; it is 6 1/2" diameter (16 cm) and it the timepiece is 3.5" deep (9 cm) measured from the bulkhead mounting plate. It features a heavy cast brass bezel ring with black painted steel hour and minute hands with a smaller seconds subsidiary dial above. A label to the back of the case indicates it was last serviced in 2010 ; whilst we have not checked the movement it has been running perfectly in the time it has been with us but the new owner may wish to have it oiled and checked.

A fine quality clock from a famous London retailer that would be happy to either go back to sea or to make a real statement on your kitchen or bathroom wall!

3104
HMS Raleigh Copper Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture SoldHMS Raleigh Copper Ashtray - Six Royal Navy ships have carried the name HMS Raleigh and of course the current shore station at Torpoint. It is our feeling this tray relates to the Cruiser launched in 1919 and which was subsequently run aground in thick fog off the cost of Labrador in 1922 and was lost together with 11 of her crew. Her Master was subsequently charged with negligence. It may of course relate to the shore station but we believe the Cruiser mentioned is the more likely candidate. These little trays were offered for sale onboard via the NAAFI shop to serving crew members and were mainly bought as gift for friends and relations back home. This and the rest of the small collection we are listing today are all of the period and would make a great gift for anyone with an association with this fine ship. This example carries an applied brass badge featuring the 'HMS Raleigh' ships crest. Measures 3 1/2" diameter (9.0 cm)
3114
HMS Exeter Copper Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture SoldHMS Exeter Copper Ashtray - HMS Exeter was a Cruiser launched in 1929 and weighed 8,390 tons and served with distinction in WWII. She famously took part in 'The Battle of the River Plate' but her luck ran out in 1942 when she was sunk by Japanese dive bombers off Java in 'The Battle of the Java Sea' with the sad loss of 50 crew; a further 150 subsequently lost their lives as Japanese POW's. These little trays were offered for sale onboard via the NAAFI shop to serving crew members and were mainly bought as gift for friends and relations back home. This and the rest of the small collection we are listing today are all of the period and would make a great gift for anyone with an association with this fine ship. This example, as well as carrying an embossed 'HMS Exeter' badge, is also stamped in fine script on the reverse'Made in England'. Measures 3.65" diameter (9.4 cm)

OC321
SS Arcadia Ship's Helm Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture SoldSS Arcadia Ship's Helm Ashtray - Made from cast aluminium with P&O pennant badge to centre. The Arcadia was built for P&O in 1954 and sailed on the Australian run, being scraped in Sydney in 1979. This ashtray would have been sold on board as a souvenir of the trip. In good condition. Measures 6" (16 cm) diameter.
6796
HMS Devonshire Ships Badge - Click for the bigger picture SoldHMS Devonshire Ships Badge - No less than eight ships of the Royal Navy have carried the name HMS Devonshire, the first a 3rd rate sailing vessel of 80 guns that was launched in 1710 and the most recent a Destroyer that served from 1962 until 1978. She was then offered for sale to Egypt but the deal never went through and she finally met her end as a target during testing of the Sea Eagle cruise missile in the English channel in 1984. This badge is likely to relate to the final ship of the line mentioned above.

Of standard form, this example is made from cast alloy with a gold painted rope surround and surmounted by a Royal Naval crown and the ships name below. The crest itself features a red painted rampant lion set against a silver background. The paintwork remains strong with minor age related wear. The back carries a brass hanging device for wall display. Measures 7" diameter (18 cm) excluding crown.
3107
HMS Nelson Copper Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture SoldHMS Nelson Copper Ashtray - HMS Nelson was a Battleship of 33,500 tons launched in 1925, serving throughout WWII with distinction and won Battle Honours for MALTA CONVOYS 1941-42, NORTH AFRICA 1942 -43, MEDITERRANEAN 1943, SICILY 1943 -,SALERNO 1943, NORMANDY 1944. Having survived that lot she was finally broken up in 1949. These little trays were offered for sale onboard via the NAAFI shop to serving crew members and were mainly bought as gift for friends and relations back home. This and the rest of the small collection we are listing today are all of the period and would make a great gift for anyone with an association with this fine ship. This example carries a stamped 'HMS Neson' ships badge to the centre of the copper tray. Measures 3" diameter (7.4 cm)
2469
HMS Seagull Niehuis & Van Den Berg's Shipyard Rotterdam Copper Tray - Click for the bigger picture SoldHMS Seagull Niehuis & Van Den Berg's Shipyard Rotterdam Copper Tray - HMS Seagull was a Halcyon-class minesweeper, completed on 30 March 1938. and the first Royal Navy ship to be built entirely without rivets. She was adopted by the civil community of Christchurch, Hampshire after a successful Warship Week National Savings campaign in February 1942. During the Second World War she won Battle Honours for the Artic Convoys in 1942 and helped escort 21 Arctic convoys. Subsequently she won further Battle Honours for Normandy in 1944 when she participated in Operation Neptune. After VE Day HMS Seagull was deployed on mine clearance duties in the North Sea and Channel areas but in August 1945 she was allocated for conversion to a Survey Ship and Paid-off from the Royal Navy.

HMS SEAGULL was taken to Niehuis & Van Den Berg's Shipyard Rotterdam (which is still in business) for the conversion to her new role and two months later went to Chatham for completion of this work, including the installation of specialist hydrographic equipment in HM Dockyard and on completion in April 1946 the ship recommissioned for surveying duties. From June onwards she carried out surveys in Home Waters until again paid-off and reduced to Reserve Status in March 1951. In the sequence of images attached here the final shot shows a period image of HMS Seagull as a minesweeper and below how she looked after conversion to a survey ship proably taken in 1946. In he4r final season Seagull was employed in the Bristol Channel, mainly sweeping for wrecks. She was laid-up at Devonport and towed to Leith in 1955 for used as a Drill Ship for the RNVR Division. She was finally sold to BISCO for breaking-up by Demelweek and Redding at Plymouth and taken in tow from Leith on 1st May 1956 for her final voyage.

Our copper ashtray remains in fine original condition as shown and was clearly made by Niehuis & Van Den Berg's Shipyard and is engraved with the company name, HMS Seagull, 1- VIII and 8-X1 and 1945 so the exact dates when the conversion work in Holland took place. We can only assume this was presented to the ships company when the conversion work was completed; her Commander in September '45 was Lt. Cdr. Colin Courtenay Lowry. We purchased ithis item in Devon so it may have been recovered from the ship when she was broken up in Plymouth 64 years ago. This would make a unique present for the nautical collector in your life or a perfect gift for if you happen to have family who served on HMS Seagull! Measures 6.25" diameter (15.5 cm)

3106
HMS Nelson Copper Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture SoldHMS Nelson Copper Ashtray - HMS Nelson was a Battleship of 33,500 tons launched in 1925, serving throughout WWII with distinction and won Battle Honours for MALTA CONVOYS 1941-42, NORTH AFRICA 1942 -43, MEDITERRANEAN 1943, SICILY 1943 -,SALERNO 1943, NORMANDY 1944. Having survived that lot she was finally broken up in 1949. These little trays were offered for sale onboard via the NAAFI shop to serving crew members and were mainly bought as gift for friends and relations back home. This and the rest of the small collection we are listing today are all of the period and would make a great gift for anyone with an association with this fine ship. This example carries a stamped 'HMS Neson' ships badge to the centre of the copper tray. Measures 3" diameter (7.4 cm)
1122
Royal Navy Ditty Box and WWII Medal Group - Click for the bigger picture SoldRoyal Navy Ditty Box and WWII Medal Group - We always try and buy good Royal Navy Ditty boxes when they turn up but in the main their provenance has been lost down the years. If we are lucky it may have a brass name plate fitted and occasionally they come with some of their original contents ; this example is one of those.

This Ditty Box is to standard form and size and made from pine which has been lightly waxed. Inside the pen tray remains in place but the letter bars in the lid were missing so we have replaced these and it would be hard to tell these were not the issue items. To the front panel evidence exists to show where an original name plaque was mounted, just below the key hole. It would seem this was replaced by a custom made silvered example mounted in a recessed slot in the front top of the lid ; this is named to A. L. Clarke. The key was missing when purchased, as are the lock clasp locating lugs on the inside lid. We suspect this was removed when the key was lost and the lugs cut to gain access, as often seems to have happened with these items. The brass lock is still fitted although in a locked position. We have added a period key which fits the lock but does not operate it but is fine for display purposes.

Inside the box is lightly stained and shows signs of use with minor repairs to the rear of the lid. What lifts this example well above the norm is that the box contains the original owners World War 11 medal grouping. These are mounted as worn with pin attachment to the medal bar and are made up of the 1939-45 Star, the Atlantic Star which was awarded to all Royal Navy and Merchant Navy Personnel for 6 months service afloat between 1939-45 in Atlantic, Russian or home waters. The Rosette indicates the recipient was subsequently awarded the France and Germany Star for service in these areas between 6 June 1944 and 8 May 1945. This is also accompanied by the 1939-45 War Medal. These are all as usual unnamed and as issued.

What brings the grouping to life is A. L. Clarke clearly also served in the Special Constabulary and was awarded the Special Constabulary Long Service Medal. This was awarded to all ranks who served at least 50 duties in wartime or 9 years service in peacetime. This medal is engraved to Arthur L. Clarke so ties in nicely with the ditty box plaque and confirms the two items belong together and we believe this is how they should remain. We don't have any other history on Clarke other than the grouping was purchased near Bristol in South West England and we speculate the family may have had West Country origins. It may well be possible with the little information that is known the trace the service history of Mr Clarke but we will leave this pleasure to a future owner although if any armchair detectives can add anything here we would be delighted to add additional details to our listing. We understand Ditty Boxes were technically withdrawn as an issue item in 1938 and replaced by a small brown suitcase so it could be Clarke joined up before WWII seeing had a prewar Ditty Box despite being technically withdrawn he continued to use it during his wartime service. Box measures 12" x 8"x 6" (30.5 cm x 20.5 cm x 15 cm) Like all items listed on our site a full range of detailed photographs are available on request.

OC229
Presentation Hip Flask HMS Nile 1945 - Click for the bigger picture SoldPresentation Hip Flask HMS Nile 1945 - A WWII period Royal Navy hip flask fitted with a secured cap to prevent accidental loss on land or at sea! HMS Nile was a 'Stone Frigate' shore base opened in April 1939 and paid off in June 1946 and located at Ras el Tin Point, Alexandria, Egypt and had a large number of personnel on the books, mainly those based in the Eastern Mediterranean. Research indicates Nile was amongst other things a location for Special Forces Ops and in addition we found RAF Aboukir is listed as 'HMS Nile II', based at the old Airport near Alexandria and was used by both the RAF and the Fleet Air Arm.

The flask is of the curved design to fit comfortably in a hip pocket and is made from brass with a silver plated finish. Engraved to the front is 'From F. M. O. Staff HMS Nile 1945'. Sadly no history came with the flask and we can only speculate on the meaning of 'F. M. O. ' but at a guess perhaps 'Fleet Maintenance Officer', 'Fleet Medical Officer' or even 'Fleet Mail Office'! If any visitors to the site can enlighten us on this we will update our listing. We presume it was given to a member of staff as a leaving present back in '45. Generally in good used condition, with a couple of little bumps to front and small wear to plate on base but otherwise we believe good for original purpose. The presentation engraving aside the flask carries no other makers or other marks. This would make a unique Christmas present for anyone who had relations serving with 'HMS Nile ' back in WWII and certainly not an item to be found elsewhere on the web! Measures 5" x3.5" (13 cm x 9.5 cm).

6893
The Maritime Paintings of John Chancellor - Click for the bigger picture SoldThe Maritime Paintings of John Chancellor - Regarded by many as one of the finest marine artists of the 20th century, Chancellor was born in Portugal in 1925. He always had an interest in the sea having sailed many differing vessels and navigated waters from Trinidad to the Medway and was firstly a sailor who later in life became a superb artist. He eventually settled with his family in Brixham, Devon in 1963 and spent 2 years trawling, which led to early works, when commissioned to paint trawler portraits by their skippers. Steadily he began to take his painting more seriously, encouraged by the great enthusiasm and guidance of Austin Hawkins, who had a gallery in the town and Chancellor began producing works that exhibited his huge potential as a serious professional artist. His paintings go beyond aesthetically pleasing, well-executed marine scenes; they are often definitive, historically accurate representations of actual events, completed in painstaking detail. His research would take him to museums, the hydrographic office and public records to ensure that every last detail is accurate. Sadly John's life was cut short on 9th April 1984, aged just 59, having painted professionally for only 13 years, during which time his complete output numbered fewer than 150 works. Only three exhibitions (in 1973, 1976 and 1981) were ever staged and all three were a sell out - the first with everything sold in less than an hour! An indication of his standing in art circles was confirmed when an original artwork sold by Bonhams in 2008 for £38,400!

This finely illustrated book dates to 1984, but Chancellor sadly died shortly after proof checking, so he never lived to see his work published. The book contains 19 sumptuous paintings, portraying sailing ships and the sea in all its moods. They are accompanied by text, sketches and enlarged details which highlight Chancellor's workmanship. This hardback copy appears to be first edition dated 1984 and its original published price was £40 and is complete with dust jacket that a previous owner has covered for added protection. The image on the front depicts HMS Beagle in the Galapagos, whilst the back cover shows some amazing detail from the same painting. 80 pages in total are filled with informative text, full colour paintings, sketches and enlarged details which highlight Chancellor's workmanship. This is very much a coffee table sized book at 14.5" x 11.5" (37 cm x 29 cm) Whilst clearly second hand it remains in really excellent condition and on offer 36 years later at a significant discount on the published price!

102
A Pair of Admiralty Standard Sealed SampleThread Bundles dated 1897 - Click for the bigger picture SoldA Pair of Admiralty Standard Sealed SampleThread Bundles dated 1897 - These unique items are Admiralty Pattern sealed samples to confirm the thread specification to be used on Royal Naval contracts. The labels, showing some age wear, are still readable and carry a wax admiralty seal with fouled anchor to both sides, as well as an instruction "this label is not be removed nor the pattern damaged" and below CP 7365 and clearly dated 1897. A manufacturer's ticket is slipped through the thread of one bundle naming the manufacturer W J Knox Kilbirnie. The firm of W J Knox established their business in 1778 and are still operating from their factory in Ayrshire, making camouflage nets and marine signal equipment and are still supplying the Royal Navy 123 years after these sample were sealed.

Sealed samples were used in Government contracts to check the factory bulk production matched exactly the specification of the sealed sample so was critical in maintaining quality standards. These are absolutely unique pieces and are of historical interest and really deserve to be in a museum collection. Better still of course would be for W. J. Knox to purchase and to go on public display in a factory museum!

These have been in our personal collection since 2001 but it is now finally times to rehome the pair so grab them whilst you can! Each bundle measures 7" (17 cm)

2506a
Presentation Silver Astray HMSVictory - Click for the bigger picture SoldPresentation Silver Astray HMSVictory - A solid silver example with good clear hallmarks confirming made by the silversmiths Joseph Gloster Ltd who operated from the Lion Silver Works, Hockley Hill, Birmingham. As well as the makers marks it carries an anchor indicating a Birmingham maker and a date code letter Y for 1923. The centre of the ashtray is finely engraved : 'Lt R. Coombs R. N. In Great Appreciation 1922-24 From Lt Cdr (G) HMS Victory'. Victory of course needs no introduction being a 104-gun first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy launched in 1765. She is best known for her role as Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar on 21 October 1805. After Cape St Vincent she was relegated to the role of harbour ship and in 1922, she was moved to a dry dock at Portsmouth, to be preserved. Since October 2012 she has been the flagship of the First Sea Lord and has the distinction of being the world's oldest naval ship still in commission, currently with 241 years' service and counting!

We assume Lieutenant R. Coombs R. N. served on Victory from 1922-24 and was presented with this ashtray as a gift from his fellow Officers and his Commander on his re assignment. Sadly we have no other history with the item but it is worthy of further research. The ashtray shows signs of use but remains in fine original condition, the silver retains a good shine and the presentation engraving and hallmarks are crisp and readable. This would make an excellent stocking filler for the Naval collector in your life and a super bit of history with its direct associations with the most famous vessel in the Royal Navy! Measures 3.75" (9.5 cm)

706
Glass Fishing Floats - Click for the bigger picture SoldGlass Fishing Floats - a selection of early English made examples finished in green glass. Used to support fishing nets prior to the introduction of plastic floats. These are the last few we have remaining and are all original Victorain examples, but these do not carry any makers marks but all remain in excellent condition and offered at a modest price.
3207
Sestrel Marine Barometer - Click for the bigger picture SoldSestrel Marine Barometer - A good original example manufactured by Henry Browne and Son Ltd, of Barking, London. Henry Browne was born in Lewis, Sussex in 1842 and died in Barking in 1935. His company became a well-respected English instrument maker, manufacturing and selling fine quality compasses, ship's clocks, inclinometers, sextants, and barometers for over 140 years and the Trade Mark brand 'Sestrel' was used on all their equipment. The company experienced boom conditions the 1970s but collapsed in the 1980s due to the popularity of cheaper plastic compasses over traditional brass ones.

Our aneroid barometer has a good clear dial which as well as the brand name is marked 'Compensated' meaning it is compensated for temperature variations. Below it is marked 'm. m. Hg' together with 'English Made Marine Barometer'. Barometric pressure is sometimes reported in inches (in/Hg) or millimetres of mercury (mmHg). In this case the scale is calibrated on the outer scale from 950 to 1050 Millibars and on the inner is marked from 71-79 millimetres of mercury. The tell-tale marker is in place and rotates to mark the pressure when recordings are taken.

The case is made from solid brass and shows signs of minor age related wear but it remains in excellent overall condition. Measured on the back rim is 8" or 20 cm whilst the glass diameter is 6" or 15 cm ; it depth is 3 1/2 or 9 cm. The back plate is drilled for bulkhead mounting for use on board ship but is entirely appropriate serving ashore and is a perfect size being neither too small or too big. We currently have it on test here on the office wall and it is recording well the current changes in barometric pressure.

OC43
Ships Clock ex S. S. William Pearman - Click for the bigger picture SoldShips Clock ex S. S. William Pearman - Another fine marine clock which we are listing today, made by the quality marine instrument maker James Morton Ltd of Sunderland. This company was established by James Morton who was born in 1856 and with the local shipbuilding business close by benefitted from their trade, supplying instruments, binnacles, telescopes and of course quality timepieces. This example is very heavily built and is designed for bulkhead mounting. What makes it particularly interesting it has a riveted plaque to the heavy brass bezel which reads 'S. S. William Pearman 1941-1961'.

We have been able to trace the vessel against nos 168275 and she was a single screw coaster collier of 1,552 tons, built at Burntisland Shipbuilding Company, founded in Scotland in 1918. The keel laid in 1941, she was launched in 1942 and owned by the British Electrical Authority, which subsequently became the CEGB in 1954. The LPC had its own fleet of coastal colliers to deliver coal to its power stations. Several were flatiron ships, built with low-profile superstructures and fold-down funnel and masts to pass under bridges upriver from Tower Bridge on the River Thames to reach Battersea. The William Pearman was one such vessel. The ships built for the LPC were each named after a person, several of whom were very prominent in the history of electrical engineering. The vessel was finally scrapped and broken up in Sunderland in 1961.

Our clock has an attractive rectangular bezel made from solid cast brass that gives it an essentially deco look and the glass is nicely bevelled. The silvered dial carries Roman numerals and is signed to the maker James Morton in two places. It carries the normal fast/slow adjuster and beside an elaborate 'F' and 'S' either side; the clock does not have a second hand. As mentioned it was clearly bulkhead mounted when fitted on board and whilst it can be displayed without a mount it would be possible to mount within an appropriate aperture or even a cut out in a stud partition wall. The bezel measures 8.5" x 6.75" and the clock is 3.5" deep (21 cm x 17.5 cm x 9 cm).It weighs a substantial 3.1 kilos and was clearly an expensive timepiece in its day. It is ticking away happily on our office wall but we have no idea when it was last serviced and it may be worth the new owner having the mechanism checked.

Whilst most ships clocks we get in have a story to tell these have been mainly lost down the years. We have no such issues knowing where and when this one was made and where it served! The original ships bell from the SS William Pearman was recently sold at auction and it would be great if our clock could be reunited with it and this could be arranged if the new owner would like to get in touch!

Prices in UK Pounds - please see our Terms & Conditions
Use this Currency Converter to find the approximate cost in your currency
Pay securely with your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Switch, or Solo through PayPal - see our Terms & Conditions
Ship's Fittings | Ship's Lighting | Instruments & Tools | Miscellaneous
Nautical Stock Archive -  [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
21 | 22
Home | Nautical | Aeronautical | News | Press Releases | About Us | Contact Us | Links
FAQ's | Web Log | Search | Site Map | Privacy | Terms & Conditions
Mr Oldnautibits a chantrybarn production